Tuesday, May 2, 2017

How To Make a Supergirl Symbol

Cosplayer Cosmic Empress has dressed as Cersei Lannister, Queen Elsa, Cloud, and many more characters — also Supergirl! She became Kara Zor-El by making the hero’s outfit from the ground up. She found leather to be an especially useful material when it came to making Supergirl’s belt and her “S” symbol. For the belt, leather provided a sturdy option that wouldn’t rip. For the S, she wanted a material that would bend over curves in a flattering way.

She explains:

I shaped the S to the shape of the pentagon best I could after texturizing it. After shaping and #painting the pentagon I drilled holes into it. I then proceeded to hand sewed it onto the #leotard while wearing it. This was challenging. Then I needed to #glue the two together. There is special leather glue. #hotglue will not work on hide. The glue needed to dry and I needed to sleep so holding the pieces together all night was not going to fly. …. the #secret was #magnets! I used the excessive amount of magnets I have laying around to hold the pieces together.

You can see this illustrated in the photo below.

You can see more making of photos in this album on Facebook.

Top photo by Karina Boese Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment