Friday, January 31, 2020

Why you should run a 64 bit OS on your Raspberry Pi4 #piday #raspberrypi @Raspberry_Pi

Raspbench 1

Via Matteo Croce on Medium:

The Rpi4 comes with a quad core ARM Cortex A72, up to 4 GB of RAM and a gigabit ethernet port, at a very low price of 35 $.
Raspberry provides Raspbian (a Debian derivative), an already ready distro for their products, so I put it on an sd card to boot it quickly.
I was looking at the syslog and I noticed that, uh, both the kernel and the whole userland are compiled as armv7, which means 32 bit ARM.

I know for sure that the RPi4 is 64 bit capable, so I refused to run a 32 bit OS on it. I get another sd card and I installed Debian on it. A lean and mean Debian compiled as aarch64, which means 64 bit ARM.
As soon as the 64 bit OS booted, I was curious to know how much it performs better than the 32 bit one, so I did some tests.

Check out the full rundown on Medium (h/t Hackaday)


3055 06Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment