Thursday, March 26, 2020

Printing Snoopy on an ASR-33 teletype #VintageComputing

On Galactic Studios, they post about having a text Snoopy printed out on an old teletype:

The ASR-33 is a computer terminal that was common in the 1960s and ’70s, when many boomers were first introduced to computers. It was slow (though we didn’t realize it at the time), noisy, and prone to failure – it was almost entirely mechanical. I’ve long wanted one, but I fear I wouldn’t be able to keep it operational.

But Hugh has one, and he’s learned to maintain it. He’s set up shop on Etsy to sell printouts at a modest cost. I wanted an authentic ASR-33 printout to hang on my wall. But what to get?

Despite the fact that computers were massively expensive, people found plenty of frivolous, wasteful things to do with them. One such thing was to print pictures of Snoopy.

So I searched through the cobwebs of the web and found an old text picture of Snoopy. Hugh was happy to print it out for me.

To frame it, I used a photo of an ASR-33 as the background mat and added the artist’s signature, as rendered on paper tape.

Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment