Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Circuit Playground Express + JavaScript = LED Dog Collar | #WearableWednesday #MakeCode @MSMakeCode

In all fairness this collar could be used for all types of animals – or humans. Regardless of what creature species you design your collar for the Medium blog post detailing its creation is inspiring!

JavaScript is truly EVERYWHERE, and now I’ve even added it to my dog. Last week, I made my dog a snazzy rainbow magic collar with an Arduino, LEDs, and JavaScript.

I’ve been playing around with hardware for the past year. Mainly, I’ve been interested in making little, useless things that flash and glow all colors of the rainbow with LEDs. I’m not super interested in using hardware for home automation or for real practical uses, really. For me, working with hardware is where I can be silly and indulge my child-like wonder. I like creating art or fashionable things whose only purpose is to bring a little joy to those around me (& myself).

I was quite excited with it because it has a bunch of sensors (temp, light, motion, sound) AND 10 neopixels built-in. But probably the coolest thing about it is the multiple ways in which you can program it! You can program it 3 ways: (1) using Microsoft MakeCode and writing JavaScript or block-based code (like Scratch), (2) using CircuitPython to interpret Python directly on the board, or (3) using C++ with the Arduino IDE. I was most excited to try the MakeCode Editor and finally write code for my wearables in JavaScript instead of hacking C++(ish) code together!

Read more.


Flora breadboard is Every Wednesday is Wearable Wednesday here at Adafruit! We’re bringing you the blinkiest, most fashionable, innovative, and useful wearables from around the web and in our own original projects featuring our wearable Arduino-compatible platform, FLORA. Be sure to post up your wearables projects in the forums or send us a link and you might be featured here on Wearable Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment