Monday, December 3, 2018

The Great British Baking Show: Meet the Show’s Illustrator #ArtTuesday

Like any decent person with a soul and a Netflix account, I love The Great British Baking Show. It’s by far the brightest light in the ridiculously inundated market of cooking content. Full disclosure, my best friend and I even dressed up as Mel & Sue, the show’s former hosts, in Halloween 2017. And I don’t even like cake!!

Although I was skeptical about all the staff and network changes over on The Great British Baking Show (Mary Berry 4evr), I somehow found myself just as into the last two seasons as ever before. Perhaps that’s due in part to Tom Hovey, who has created all of the beautiful culinary illustrations for each episode’s many different bakes since the show’s first season.

Check out Vulture’s recent interview with Hovey, it’s pure joy.

Hovey’s interest in culinary illustration didn’t stem from any childhood passion. He cited satirists like Ralph Steadman and Gerald Scarfe as his primary influences, as he dabbled in the London street-art scene after graduating college, preferring “montorous characters” and “obscene” sketches to evoke reactions from viewers. It was only after working on The Great British Baking Show for a few seasons that he realized his creative fulfillment was being met, and yes, he was also turning into a massive foodie, too. “I was always looking for a style, always looking for inspiration,” he said. “It took me awhile, but I finally realized that the style had found me. I realized I could and should make food illustration my main focus.”

Read more.


Screenshot 4 2 14 11 48 AMEvery Tuesday is Art Tuesday here at Adafruit! Today we celebrate artists and makers from around the world who are designing innovative and creative works using technology, science, electronics and more. You can start your own career as an artist today with Adafruit’s conductive paints, art-related electronics kits, LEDs, wearables, 3D printers and more! Make your most imaginative designs come to life with our helpful tutorials from the Adafruit Learning System. And don’t forget to check in every Art Tuesday for more artistic inspiration here on the Adafruit Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment