Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The Cellular Art of Michael Banks #ArtTuesday

via Art the Science

I started out with basic cell biology. The first scientific images I painted were dividing cells, and I still love painting them. The fact that this simple, constant process underlies all of life fills me with amazement and awe. From there, I gradually branched out into microbiology. I love the idea that there’s this whole hidden world in us, on us and around us, and that, although the individual components are extremely tiny, together they have tremendous power.

A lot of my artwork is inspired by neuroscience. This is the area where I really get imaginative with my imagery. I want to explore the processes of perception, cognition, and emotion in part by looking at the physical things that make them happen—brain cells, in particular. It doesn’t hurt that many neurons are amazingly beautiful!

See more!


Screenshot 4 2 14 11 48 AMEvery Tuesday is Art Tuesday here at Adafruit! Today we celebrate artists and makers from around the world who are designing innovative and creative works using technology, science, electronics and more. You can start your own career as an artist today with Adafruit’s conductive paints, art-related electronics kits, LEDs, wearables, 3D printers and more! Make your most imaginative designs come to life with our helpful tutorials from the Adafruit Learning System. And don’t forget to check in every Art Tuesday for more artistic inspiration here on the Adafruit Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment