Monday, December 30, 2019

Anatomy and Broidery in the Art of Lia Pas #ArtTuesday

From Lia Pas via Art the Science

I’m very inspired by older anatomical artists. It fascinates me how they depicted the body without the aid of photography or the imaging techniques we have now. I’ve already mentioned Andreas Vesalius, as well as Henry Vandyke Carter, the illustrator of Gray’s Anatomy. I’m fascinated by the waxwork anatomical venuses created by Clemente Susini as well as by Ramón y Cajal’s neurology drawings and Ernst Haeckel’s biology drawings and groupings. Björk has done some fascinating SciArt work with her music and videos and Meredith Monk’s music theatre pieces that combine spirituality, ecology, and incredible vocal explorations have definitely influenced my work both sonically and visually. I absolutely adore Greg Dunn’s neurology pieces and Rogan Brown‘s exquisite paper-cut work. Fibre artist Vanessa Barragão‘s huge rugs of coral reefs and Louise Bourgeois’ interdisciplinarity are also absolutely inspiring.

Since becoming ill with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS) in 2015, my more recent work has been primarily in fibre arts. ME/CFS is a neuroimmune disease, and I have many neurological symptoms to deal with because of it. In 2016, I started embroidering my neurological sensations of pain and paresthesia as a way of both better understanding them and as a practice of “exquisite attention,” which made them feel less disruptive and less painful in my day to day….

See more!


Screenshot 4 2 14 11 48 AMEvery Tuesday is Art Tuesday here at Adafruit! Today we celebrate artists and makers from around the world who are designing innovative and creative works using technology, science, electronics and more. You can start your own career as an artist today with Adafruit’s conductive paints, art-related electronics kits, LEDs, wearables, 3D printers and more! Make your most imaginative designs come to life with our helpful tutorials from the Adafruit Learning System. And don’t forget to check in every Art Tuesday for more artistic inspiration here on the Adafruit Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment