Friday, May 8, 2020

Self Calibrating Sundial

via poblocki1982 on instructables

Firstly I had to choose the right type of Sundial. Horizontal Sundial are easy to make, but the gnomon has to be mounted at the angle of your latitude, so if you change location you have to adjust the angle of the gnomon and the positions of the hour marks on the plate. In equatorial Sundials the gnomon is perpendicular to the plate and then the entire plate is tilted at latitude angle plus the hour marks are evenly spread every 15 degrees. I chose the equatorial Sundial because you don’t have to adjust the hour marks and it’s easy to tilt the entire plate at latitude angle.

I also had to come up with the system for the Sundial to find North-South direction so I used digital compass HMC5883L and continuous rotation servo. To find latitude I used Neo 6M GPS module.

Read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment