Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Hyperallergic Talks Accessible Performance Art with Buddy the Rat, Jonathan Lyons #ArtTuesday

If you’ve been curious about the person behind the rat we think you’ll enjoy this read from Hyperallergic:

H: Do you think people see it as performance? You mentioned a few different reactions — do you think some people think, “Oh, a dude in a rat suit, just another day in New York”?

JL: Yeah, exactly. I do like that it’s being described as performance art, because that’s the most accurate thing: I consider myself a theater artist, and I’ve had a long career, so that’s where I come from, legit theater. For example, the components of the costume are a lot more sophisticated than people might realize at first glance: the interior of the mask has electronics in it, the eyes are rigged to blink, the whiskers are made of fiberoptic cables that can light up. I took a lot of care into the way I sculpted it. The grooves of the face reflect light in a very specific way to evoke a living creature. Sometimes, when I encounter real animals, like a dog or a cat, they will often freak out because they see me as a four-legged, living thing. I have someone who made the tail, but everything else I built, I found the pieces for the suit and built the mask from scratch.

Read more


Screenshot 4 2 14 11 48 AMEvery Tuesday is Art Tuesday here at Adafruit! Today we celebrate artists and makers from around the world who are designing innovative and creative works using technology, science, electronics and more. You can start your own career as an artist today with Adafruit’s conductive paints, art-related electronics kits, LEDs, wearables, 3D printers and more! Make your most imaginative designs come to life with our helpful tutorials from the Adafruit Learning System. And don’t forget to check in every Art Tuesday for more artistic inspiration here on the Adafruit Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment