Friday, December 18, 2020

Plant Tweets When It Needs Water @Raspberry_Pi #PiDay #RaspberryPi

While checking all the electronics stuff I own, I’ve found a soil moisture sensor (https://www.amazon.com/Moisture-Humidity-Compatible-Atomic-Market/dp/B00TMD43BS) and I decided to use it in a simple project just to refresh my basic Arduino knowledge.

Over at hackster.io, monur has a fun little project that uses a soil moisture sensor to make a plant tweet if it need water. Here’s more on the project:

I had many ideas to accomplish this and I’m sure this is not the optional solution, but I had some concerns. The simplest solution would be to connect moisture sensor to Raspberry Pi Zero and read the digital trigger when moisture level drops below a certain level. However I wanted to read the moisture level in analog to be able to keep it in a database or IoT cloud. That’s why I needed a ADC converter which I didn’t own. That’s why I used an atTiny85 as an ADC.

So I came up with this solution: Read analog data from moisture sensor using atTiny85, send this value to Raspberry Pi Zero through serial connection so that a python script on Raspberry Pi Zero can save this value to a database and send a tweet. Again, I’m using atTiny85 as a ADC converter cause I don’t own one.

See project!


3055 06Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment