Friday, March 26, 2021

Playing Star Trek Sound Effects with the Raspberry Pi Pico Using CircuitPython @Raspberry_Pi #PiDay #RaspberryPi

Raspberry Pis have a long history of use in the performing arts, special effects, and cosplay. So naturally the Raspberry Pi Pico is getting into the mix. has a long-running Picorder project, and he’s using Raspberry Pi Pico for sound. Here’s more from the Raspberry Project:

To start with, I looked at creating my own circuit and using PWM Audio. This post from Greg Chadwick indicated that I could do just that. However, it was, excuse me, a bit beyond me. It also used C/C++ as a programming language. I had already decided that, for this project, I would use Adafruit’s CircuitPython derivative of MicroPython. There were a lot of libraries, it is, basically, Python (which I can already use to a certain extent, thanks to the CamJam EduKits and all the other tutorials that are available), and it is extensively documented.

However, that blog post, and some previously-read Pico documentation, pointed me to needing to use I2S audio, which is how audio (DAC) boards work with the Raspberry Pi. This would give me high enough quality audio to play my sound effect and give me a bit of familiarity (which I always think is key to understanding how to do something).

See more!


3055 06Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment