Thursday, March 30, 2017

Experiments with ‘Dyeing 3D Printed Parts’ | #3DPrinting #3DThursday

Interesting idea from 41j.com about dyeing 3D-printed parts made with SLA. This of course adds another step to the overall process but could allow you to generate colors otherwise not readily available to printers.

I wanted to color some 3D printed parts for the project shown above. This post documents my first crack at dying SLA printed parts, and what I plan to try next time. Overall, the results were reasonable, however some colors worked better than others. The parts I used were SLA printed by Itead studios.

I used “rit” fabric dying powder, which I purchased on eBay. The power came in 14g packets. I used Cardinal Red, Kelly Green, Yellow and Navy Blue. The instructions provided were naturally designed for use with fabric, so I mostly just guessed. I used half the packet in a small beaker with 28ml of boiling water.

Read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment