Thursday, August 3, 2017

Torchwood Vortex Manipulator Prop Tutorial

Doctor Who and Torchwood’s Jack Harkness wears an oh so handy vortex manipulator on his wrist. The time travel device worn by Time Agents was an easy way to get from place to place and to get out of tricky situations. Lady Mar Cosplay recently crafted the manipulator using faux leather, thin craft foam, a replacement watch band, and a LED to add a glowing effect. If you don’t want to draft your own pattern for the manipulator, she has one available in her Etsy shop.

After the pattern was ready, she started the build:

I started with the console face out of foam. I scored the markings and heated them to make them a bit more prominent before painting the whole console. I colored some clear packing tape blue with a permanent marker and attached it to the back of the foam over the windows for the light to come through.

I then started on the leather pieces. I did a line of stitching around the window for the console. I also folded down the side edges on that piece and three edges on each end piece and the flap. I should have added the flap to block the light at this stage, but didn’t realize I needed it yet.

Take a look at the full tutorial on Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment