Friday, December 22, 2017

NeoPixels, DotStars and Raspberry Pi – Decorating a Festival Trolley with LEDs #piday #raspberrypi @Raspberry_Pi

NewImage

From JonWitts.co.uk:

We took the family away to Camp Bestival this summer (as we do most years) and as we have three young children we took a festival trolley with us to help move the youngest child and associated paraphernalia around with us. Each year we try to decorate the trolley a little bit to brighten it up and this year I thought I would use a 1 m strip of 144 NeoPixels I had at work which were sat around not being used!

Having used these in class before I knew that they were sometimes a tricky beast to get working with a Raspberry Pi, but also having recently completed a chapter in my book using a similar DotStar strip to create a LED matrix across the front of a laptop bag; I felt sure that I could get a portable solution up and running for the NeoPixels and a Raspberry Pi. Now this solution is perhaps more involved than how you could get things going in the lab; but to get it working for our festival trolley the whole solution needed to be portable and powered from battery packs.

I decided to make use of an AdaFruit Perma-Proto Pi Hat I had lying around, as this meant the associated electronics I would require for this build could be easily added and removed from the Raspberry Pi for future projects. I also decide that I would build my Hat so that it could be used for both portable NeoPixel and DotStar projects.

Read more




3055 06Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment