Thursday, December 28, 2017

Make a Dune Sandworm Puppet to Go with Your Fremen Costume

If you’re going to dress like Paul Atreides or any Fremen from Frank Herbert’s Dune, you should carry around a sandworm, a.k.a. Shai Hulud. Instructables user caitlinsdad has shared details on how to make a puppet version you can carry around on your arm. They incorporated an animatronic motion inspired by this robotic gripper, which means it has smooth devouring action — on display in the above video.

For the inside of the mouth and the sandworm’s teeth, caitlinsdad turned to simple supplies:

I used a red magic marker to “paint” on the inside of the mouth segments. I could have used a different color fabric when I sewed the mouth segment covers but I didn’t have any thin red fabric handy.

To simulate all of the crysteeth, I dabbed hot glue. I think drops of white painter’s caulk or 3D fabric paint would have worked better but I didn’t want to wait overnight for it to dry.

Read more at Instructables.

No comments:

Post a Comment