Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Sally Webster: A True Renegade Painter #ArtTuseday

via HYPERALLERGIC

Ever since I first saw one of Sally Webster’s paintings in the group exhibition, Dark Star: Abstraction and Cosmos at Planthouse (April 7–May 10, 2016), organized by Raymond Foye, I have wanted to see more of her work. In my review, I described Webster’s painting as follows:

“[…] crammed with radiating orbs, concentric circles, dots, cellular and paramecium-like shapes that are cartoony but somehow don’t become a cartoon.”

While this painting prepared me for some of the compositional devices that Webster used in the 12 works in Sally Webster: Daydream Believer at 33 Orchard, her subjects and compositions varied wildly. Despite the obvious visual differences, what the paintings do share is a concentrated field of activity, and an attention to detail, organized in oil paint on a small surface measuring from 12 by 12 inches to 16 by 21 inches.

See more

No comments:

Post a Comment