Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Neuroscience and Art from Okunola Jeyifous #ArtTuesday

Neuroscience meets visual art in the work of Okunola Jeyifous. Here’s more from the artist on Art the Science:

Most directly, the main areas of my scientific inquiry are molecular and cellular biology and neuroscience. More specifically, I am a neuroscientist who uses microscopy to visualize the dynamic inner architecture of brain cells. This involves illuminating small and nuanced microscopic detail that possesses significant relevance in broader physiological contexts like memory formation, or the neuronal effects of drugs of abuse.

My arts practice has a reflexive relationship with this imaging and optics-heavy scientific approach. In my early development as a photographer, I found myself analyzing “macro” visual fields (physical and social landscapes) much like I would microscopic images of brain cells in a dish, by isolating and scrutinizing small regions of that field and looking for nuanced detail in the interactions among the elements (between people, the physical landscape, built structures). In this way, the science I was doing became a template for my photographic approach to capturing and studying “macro” images and visual narratives in “real-world” settings, and I frequently employ a minimalist composition in order to highlight these revealing “sums of the whole”.

Okunola Jeyifous

 

No comments:

Post a Comment