Friday, April 28, 2017

Raspberry Pi Powered Media Center to Take on Holiday #piday #raspberrypi @Raspberry_Pi

via Element 14 Community

We recently went on holiday and I took my laptop & VGA cable with me. It was my intention to hook it up to the TV and play some media on it to keep the kids happy on rainy days (pretty essential in the UK!). It turned out the TV had the VGA port covered up by the mounting bracket, so we ended up putting the laptop on a chair and watching videos from there; it did the job, but there was a perfectly good TV I could have used.

At home we have a Fire TV Stick that runs Kodi, but the problem with Fire TV is that it has to have an internet connection, otherwise it refuses to run any apps. I’d rather not have to tether it to my phone all the time.

Next time I’ll be more prepared; I’ve put together a compact and flexible setup consisting of a Raspberry Pi 2 running OpenElec (and Kodi) together with a set of cables allowing me to hook it up to pretty much any TV. The Pi runs Kodi really well; the OpenElec distribution boots really quickly & has good Wifi and BlueTooth support.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment