Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Sound Activated LEDs in Embroidery Using an ATtiny85 #WearableWednesday

Via Jessica Hogan on Medium

I love embroidery and electronics! This project’s goal was to create sound activated, embroidery embedded LEDs using an ATtiny85! My first step was to find a schematic and code that worked! I found on Technoblogy, a great resource for Arduino & AVR projects. I tested it out on a breadboard, successfully! I like to use ATtinys because you can program them with Arduino code and Sparkfun’s AVR programmer make it very easy!

Then I decided on an image to stitch. I figured a ferris wheel with ten seats worked perfectly, as the project uses ten LEDs. I digitize my images using SewArt, by S&S Computing. SewArt is awesome because it allows me to design unique embroidery files (PES for Brother machines) that incorporates textures.

Once my image was stitched with my Brother SE-400, I pressed it into an embroidery hoop so the fabric was taught and ready for placing components. Prior to hooking everything up I milled little PCBs for the resistors and ATtiny to sit on, making connections more secure and easy to solder. The end result looks a little messy. As much as I love sewing with conductive thread, wiring and soldering is much faster!

Read more.


Flora breadboard is Every Wednesday is Wearable Wednesday here at Adafruit! We’re bringing you the blinkiest, most fashionable, innovative, and useful wearables from around the web and in our own original projects featuring our wearable Arduino-compatible platform, FLORA. Be sure to post up your wearables projects in the forums or send us a link and you might be featured here on Wearable Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment