Thursday, September 23, 2021

DIY vinyl cutting drag knife for a desktop CNC #CNC @McuOnEclipse

Erich Styger documents a design for a DIY vinyl cutting drag knife for a desktop CNC, using a vinyl cutter holder plus 3D printed parts with some hex screws and smaller modifications. The main concern was accuracy and sturdiness, despite use of 3D printing.

Adding a drag knife for vinyl cutting is nothing new: there are plenty of projects you can find on the internet or Thingiverse. Many of them use 3D printed design to hold a razor blade.

Many of them are not spring loaded (I only want to cut the vinyl, not the back paper, and I want to compensate for the surface) or cannot easily fit into a normal router collet (I don’t want to remove the router) or are not electrically connected to the blade (I want to use my zero Z probe and bit changer).

So I ended up with my own design, using vinyl cutter holder plus 3D printed parts with some hex screws and smaller modifications. The main concern was accuracy and sturdiness, despite of 3D printing.

See the video below and more in the post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment