Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Building a digital clock with older Arduino parts: Time Cuboid #Arduino

chebe found the need for a desk clock and looked to build one from the parts on hand.

I didn’t want to go buying lots of unnecessary things, or wait until my usual suppliers were back in full swing. So I dug around in the piles of boxes that comprise my electronics stash. Back at GaelHack (seven years ago) I started on a clock, but it never left the breadboard. I dusted that off, and found most of what else I needed.

This included:

  • Arduino Duemilanove 328
  • LoLshield with blue LEDs
  • An Arduino Proto Shield with a few parts on it
  • SparkFun Real Time Clock Module

For the clock face I dug out an Adafruit Perma Proto breadboard PCB, quarter size (Adafruit / Pimoroni), and the 0.56″ 4-Digit 7-Segment Display w/I2C Backpack – Blue (Adafruit / Pimoroni) from seven years ago. Mostly I’m using the Proto board for getting the display at the correct height. I made my own ‘jumper cables’ with solid core wire, to minimise the space needed to fit it all in.

The project was placed in a semi-transparent cube (shown above). Time Cuboid

No comments:

Post a Comment