Thursday, August 6, 2020

Fixing the DEC VT220 flyback transformer #VintageComputing #3dThursday

ca.rstenpresser.de has a great way to fix an arcing DEC VT220 terminal flyback transformer. Vintage parts are rare.

I checked the google-search, eBay and hr diemen. But I was not successful.

The I came upon this post on reddit/imgur: https://imgur.com/a/uEAlQ3j which tackles the same issue.

I choose to do something similar. Use epoxy to re-seal the transformer. But instead of brushing it on I wanted to add a thicker layer.

A 3D model of the transformer with a 5mm gap was made and printed

The epoxy used was E45GB with some green pigment mixed in. The volume needed was extracted from the 3D-Model of the mold and the transformer.

See the full details in the post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment