Friday, December 1, 2017

What’s a PiJack? @Raspberry_Pi #PiDay #RaspberryPi

From poster rctho via Element 14 Raspberry Pi Community

I needed to extend the wifi range of my router with a minimal footprint in my apt. I didn’t want more peripherals plugged in all over my apt. I used a RPi0w for the wifi repeater and jammed it into a two gang receptacle box. Two usb ports (one is for console connection) and kill switch, or reset button in case the computer hangs. The console connection will also power the Pi in case the power goes out.

First i had to attach the antenna. I found tutorials online that looked easy enough at first but the pics were scaled about 1000% of the pi’s actual size. When i looked at the board and the size of the components i had to re-solder on, i was quickly discouraged. It doesn’t look the greatest, but it got it done and it works. That’s what matters.

Next i cut all the cords to size then soldered on the usb, micro usb, and pinout thingy. I used shrink tube and hot glue so that no wires are exposed. I used the internal circuit from a standard 5v transformer/ regulator commonly used to recharge a cell phone to hardwire the pi to my apt. it will act the same as if i plugged it in.

I used Leviton Qickports for the wall plate. two ports i drilled holes in for both the external antenna and reset button. Got all my components together. Time to assemble.

See full project breakdown here!


3055 06Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment