Monday, January 22, 2018

From the Community: Memorandum for Walking

Memorandum for Walking from Jacob Rivkin on Vimeo.

Great new work from artist Jacob Rivkin. Thanks for sending this in, Jason! Jason writes:

I’m writing to share an artwork (well, two connected artworks) with you
called ‘Memorandum for Walking’, made while at a residency at the Fine Arts
Work Center in Provincetown, MA.

I designed and made a pair of shoes using two Adaloggers and the Sensor Film
Kit to record the movements I made during a walk to an mini SD card. The
walk I took was following coyote tracks in the Province Lands, which is
inside the Cape Cod National Seashore. I then used this data to move a
series of panels in and out from two large columns made of pine, with each
movement corresponding to the amount of pressure recorded inside the shoes.
The movements are made by linear actuators, a Raspberry Pi, and the Adafruit
Servo Pi HAT.

All of my work explores how we perceive and interpret landscape. I was
curious to see what it a walk would like from the perspective of my feet,
and make what is usually sensed through feel and touch and often fleeting in
memory, to something that is both physical and visual. The work is now up
and being exhibited as part of a group show at the Provincetown Art
Association and Museum through February 4th.

I have so much gratitude for the parts and tutorials Adafruit puts out into
the world, and I couldn’t have made this work without all the resources you
provide. Thank you!

Read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment