Friday, August 7, 2020

Back up your Garmin activity data on a Raspberry Pi #PiDay #Python #RaspBerryPi @Raspberry_Pi @RasPiTV

Anyone who owns a Garmin watch, bike computer or other activity logging computer can’t have failed to notice the 3 day outage on Garmin Connect over the weekend of 24-26th July 2020. RasPi.TV works to upload Garmin device activity.

Being denied access to a large portion of my data made me swiftly evaluate my (lack of) backup strategy. I expect it also forced quite a lot of people to dig out their USB cables to upload activities to Strava.

I have most of the more recent activity data (bike rides and walks) still on my devices, but a whole year’s worth (June 2018 to July 2019) was not backed up anywhere else at all. So I vowed to rectify this grievous evil the moment Garmin Connect came back online, which happened on Monday 27th (the day of writing this).

A device may have something like 400 individual activities, downloading each .fit or .tcx file separately and manually – nasty & boring. RasPi.TV found GarminExport, some Python utilities, on Github.

https://github.com/petergardfjall/garminexport

See the detailed step by step in the blog post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment